The Toowoomba Second Range Crossing is a 41-kilometre bypass which runs north of Toowoomba from the Warrego Highway to the Gore Highway via Charlton.
It is one of Queensland’s highest priority infrastructure projects.
The project will assist in reducing travel time across the Toowoomba range by up to 40 minutes. It will redirect trucks from local roads in Toowoomba’s central business district and enhance freight efficiency.
Cintra and Plenary are part of the Nexus Consortium contracted to finance, operate and maintain the project for 25 years post completion.
Construction commenced in late-2015 and is expected to be completed in 2019.
The key features of Nexus Infrastructure’s TSRC design solution include:
- Four lanes from Warrego Highway East Interchange to Warrego Highway West;
- Grade separated interchanges at Warrego Highway West, Toowoomba-Cecil Plains Road and Gore Highway;
- A grade separated connection to Mort Street;
- An approximately 30-metre cutting at the top of the Range will be constructed as an alternative to the tunnel solution;
- An 800m viaduct built over the existing Queensland Rail line; and
- Continuity of the New England Highway through a new bridge over the cutting.