The Western Roads Upgrade is the first of its kind for an arterial road network in Australia.
The $1.8 billion public-private partnership is also the state of Victoria’s largest single investment in arterial roads.
It has delivered an unprecedented level of major road upgrades across Melbourne’s west, including
- 120 kilometres of new traffic lanes
- 62 intersection upgrades
- five new and eight upgraded bridges
- 188 kilometres of road resurfaced
- more than 300 services and utilities relocated
- 60 kilometres of new walking and cycling paths
Since completion in early-2021, the project has provided safer roads and more reliable journeys for western Melbourne, reducing driving time by an average of 20 per cent.
The Netflow consortium delivered the capital works in partnership with Major Roads Projects Victoria and is now maintaining the accompanying 260-kilometre arterial road network for 20 years in partnership with the Department of Transport.